Grants Researcher and Proposal Writer
Hispanic Communications Network – which functions in many ways as the Spanish language version of NPR – seeks an experienced grant writer to join its team to research and write proposals to fund Spanish language media that informs, educates and empowers Hispanics to improve their lives and those of their communities. HCN is particularly interested in securing grants that would enable it to underwrite broadcast and digital media in the fields of environmental awareness, health, women’s rights, immigrants’ rights, civic empowerment and economic opportunity.
Because the writer/s will be working independently, they will be paid as an independent contractor. Researchers and writers will receive training from HCN’s chairman, who has 30 years experience writing proposals to fund media grants for social justice and environmental purposes.
In some cases, successful proposal writers will advise and may participate in the implementation of projects they help fund. This position will provide invaluable networking opportunities.
The writer will work directly with HCN’s Chairman and HCN’s CEO. Successful applicants must be able to meet with them in Washington, DC and also be able to telecommute and work independently.
The ideal writer will have the following qualifications:
- Has excellent communication skills over the phone and in person
- Can work remotely and independently
- Has top notch research and writing skills
- Well-organized, deadline-driven and responsive to fast paced environment
- A solid understanding of online and offline research methodology
- Has knowledge and understanding of Latino social issues
- Can comprehend database specifications and input data efficiently and accurately
- Understands the structure of philanthropic foundations and government programs
- Has researched, written and evaluated successful proposals to foundations and government agencies.
Applicants must submit a detailed letter of interest, resume, salary history and references to firstname.lastname@example.org and must insert “Proposal Writer” in the subject line.
To get a sense of HCN’s interests: please review the following websites: www.hcnmedia.com and its consumer facing mobile phone optimized Spanish-language website: www.laredhispana.org. Also please visit three non-profits with similar purposes that often work with HCN: www.selfreliancefoundation.org, www.pinyonfoundation.org, www.hispanicaccess.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Candidates of interest will be called for a brief telephone interview, and if appropriate, invited to come to the Washington, DC office with their own laptop for two hours to do a basic research and writing assignment that will be reviewed and discussed with the person making the hiring recommendations. More than one person may be hired.