Sound Engineer & Producer: Radio Call-In Talk Shows
Hispanic Communications Network (HCN) is searching for a professional sound engineer / producer for our daily and weekly 1-hour call-in talk shows. The skilled multimedia producer or sound engineer will set-up, engineer, record, and edit top quality national radio programs.
The sound engineer / producer will work closely with the Production Team and Talk Show Personalities/Hosts to record, edit and distribute nationally broadcast educational radio programs designed to inform, educate, and empower Hispanics. You will report to both the Director of Production and the Senior Multimedia Producer at the office. Majority of work will be performed at HCN’s studio / office located near the US Capitol in Washington, DC.
This is a part-time position totaling roughly 20-29 hours per week. Pay is $12-20/hour based on candidate experience and demonstrated skills. Schedule revolves around live shows recorded and broadcasted daily 1:00 – 3:00pm Eastern Time. Additional hours bookend the show times for pre- / post-production editing and packaging of programs, and for distribution to terrestrial affiliate stations as well as digital syndication.
The successful candidate should have skills related to recording and editing of audio, have an understanding of national radio productions and broadcasts, as well as digital syndication. This is an opportunity to learn valuable skills that can be applied in new digital media, as well as in journalism, communications, public relations and social marketing.
HCN is a mission-driven company; therefore, all candidates must be able to demonstrate that they have a similar passion to improve the lives of Latino communities we serve.
- Setup and maintain audio equipment for recording, broadcasting and programming
- Engineer sound and mix original live programming on a daily basis
- Help in the creation and production of promotional content for long-format radio programing
- Participate in studio recording and editing sessions of interviews and segments
- Assist with preparation or creation of elements for web content and social media, including highlights of daily and weekly shows
- Maintain archive of long-format nationally syndicated radio shows and creation of evergreen content
- Assist with general maintenance of the studio environment, as well as research new technologies and solutions to existing challenges within the department
- Logging, tracking, archiving shows by contents: date, theme, guest, special notes, etc
Minimum Requirements – Skills/Knowledge/Traits:
- 2 years minimum experience in radio production and sound engineering or equivalent
- Speaks, reads, and writes fluent Spanish AND English
- Works well under pressure
- Solves problems quickly in fast paced media environment
- Well-organized, deadline-driven and responsive to fast paced environment
- Audio editing skills are a must, particularly with using Avid Pro Tools software
- MS Office proficient – (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Familiar with the use of Google apps for productivity (i.e. Google Drive, Google Calendar, Google Hangouts, creating & sharing Google Docs/Spreadsheets)
About Hispanic Communications Network
HCN manages La Red Hispana radio affiliate network, and serves as the largest producer of Spanish-language educational and informational media content in the US. We provide daily short format and weekly 1 hour talk show programming to over 150 Spanish-language radio stations nationwide covering 90% of the US Hispanic media market, and reaching over 10 million listeners weekly. Through its newly launched digital affiliate network, HCN also provides editorial services to nearly 100 Spanish-language newspapers and online media outlets. We are a mission-driven company focused on informing, educating and inspiring Latino communities to improve their lives, the lives of their families and the health and well being of their communities.
How to Apply
Email an HCN-specific letter of interest, resume, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sound Engineer” in the subject line. No calls, in-person or email inquiries please.